September 26, 2017 marked the 14th annual Mesothelioma Awareness Day. Established by Meso Foundation community members in 2004, Mesothelioma Awareness Day has been the driving force behind the movement to bring more attention and funding to this cancer.
This year, we saw volunteers raise awareness by attending the Today show in New York, wearing blue across the nation, sharing and posting on social media to spread the word, and hosting and attending fundraising events.
Leading up to Mesothelioma Awareness Day, our network of community fundraisers organized and hosted their own events to raise funds for the Meso Foundation, and we are beyond grateful for their hard work and dedication to our mission. We would like to recognize the following events and thank the fundraisers who helped make Mesothelioma Awareness Day a success:
- Nancy Edwards hosted the Seisholtzville Fire Department Memorial Picnic in memory of John Edwards in Barto, Pennsylvania on August 26. On September 9, Nancy also hosted the “Jumpin” John Edwards Memorial Car Show.
- Daniel McNeece hosted a Fundraiser in Memory of John T. McNeece in Ellicott City, Maryland on August 29.
- Tony Myatt hosted Kick Out Mesothelioma in Memory of John W. Griffin in Maine on September 1.
- Erica Ruble organized a Dress Down for Meso in memory of Lance S. Ruble at Saint Mark School in Southwest Ranches, Florida on September 1.
- Mark Wells hosted Kayaking 4 Meso in Waterford, New York on September 9.
- Gori Julian & Associates hosted their Oktoberfest in Edwardsville, Illinois on September 16.
- Missy Bowles hosted the 8th Annual RODs Benefit for Meso in Eleanor, West Virginia on September 16.
- Erica Iacono hosted the 5k Walk to Cure Meso in East Meadow, New York on September 17.
- Jill Waite hosted the 6th Annual Bruce A. Waite 5k in Ontario, Ohio on September 17.
- Sharon, Andrew, and Adam Gayoso hosted the “Dare to be Extraordinary Hike 2017” in honor of Jay A. Gayoso in Peekskill, New York on September 23.
- Suzy Chopper and Melissa Blenker hosted Robert’s Rendezvous in Amherst, Wisconsin on September 23.
- Dira Reeves hosted Muffins for Meso in Casa Grande, Arizona on September 24.
- Vicki Slagle hosted the John Boy Memorial Golf Tournament in River Falls, Wisconsin on September 30.
- Jack Brown and Brad Kocis hosted the EM, Golf Tournament in memory of Emily Brown Kocis in Greer, South Carolina on September 30.
In total, these events raised over $100,000 to support the Meso Foundation’s programming and provide much-needed funds for mesothelioma research.
We would like to extend our gratitude to all who participated in Mesothelioma Awareness Day! To learn more about hosting your own fundraising event to support the Foundation, visit curemeso.org/fundraiseformeso or contact Erica Ruble at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-879-3826.